DataTable Progressive Enhancement?

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:11 PM
Hi Raul,

In mojoPortal I am very concerned with accessibility, so I try to use non-obtrusive javascript with progressive enhancement so that the functionality still works if javascript is disabled but is enhanced if javascript is available.

With that goal in mind, I'd like to use the progressive enhancement approach with the DataTable and attach it to markup that exists in the page when it renders initially. I was wondering if its already possible to do that with your DataTable control or would I need to extend it or implement my own. In the past I implemented the ExtJs DataGrid using a standard .NET DataGrid, rather than create the grid directly in javascript I attach to existing markup generated by the .NET DataGrid, this way it still works if javascript is disabled, but if its enabled you get a nicer grid. Using the built in .NET DataGrid also gives the benefit of easy server side data binding.
In any case I'm using this ExtJs grid that I made in several places in mojoPortal and I would like to get rid of it and use YUI, but I want to achieve the same result that it still works if javascript is disabled. Thats is I wat an html table with the data to be in the page already and then just dress it up with the YUI DataTable javascript.

So my question is should I try to use or extend your DataTable control or should I start from scratch and build on top of a .NET DataGrid like I did before with ExtJs.

Best,

Joe
Dec 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM
I meant GridView not DataGrid.

Best,

Joe
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2008 at 4:57 PM
Well, you have a good ideea, as usual, but to do this, I might need to modify a lot, or use different control.
I will put it on the TODO list.

Thanks!